Towing: Maximum ball weight - Factory spec confusion

TimU

Reactions
Hi All,
I can't seem to find a straight answer about the maximum towing capacity ball-weight for the Palisade.

Are they different around the world?

There are various terms for the same thing:
  • Tongue weight / tongue load
  • Ball weight
  • Down-load weight / down-load limit
  • Hyundai call this the "maximum permissible static vertical load on the coupling device"
Confusing stats from around the world:

100KG (220 lbs) @ Hyundai Australia web page
https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/owning/servicing/roadtrip-p

150KG (330 lbs) @ Hyundai Australia correction via Auto Expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvC8ny84F4E

159KG (350 lbs) @ Hyundai USA User Manual (5-158)
2020 Hyundai Palisade Owner's Manual

226KG (500 lbs) @ Hyundai Canada User Manual (5-158)
(Note: they have the lbs / KG numbers mixed up)
https://www.hyundaicanada.com/-/med...manuals/english/2021/palisade/lx2-can-e-5.pdf
Thanks in advance.

Pic from USA User Manual
1612056514957.png

jasenj1

Reactions
I'm surprised there haven't been any replies to this.

There is a payload capacity sticker in the door frame of the vehicle. In the truck world, this is the number used to determine tongue weight. You calculate the weight of passengers & gear in the vehicle (included the weight of the hitch equipment) subtract that from the capacity sticker in the door, and that gets you the max tongue weight.

In my Palisade, the door sticker has 1173# max payload. Calculate 2x200# for passengers, +100# for misc. gear. 1173-500 = 673. So I would be comfortable with around 550-600# tongue weight.

Trailer tongue weight is estimated at 10-15% of the trailer weight. Using the 550 lb. vehicle tongue capacity, that gives a 5500-3600# total trailer weight. Using 600, that gives 6000-4000# trailer weight.

In the truck world, where towing capacities can be very high (e.g. 9000#) you typically run out of payload capacity way before reaching tow capacity.

With all that said, I'm very surprised Hyundai specifies only 350# tongue capacity. They may be using a higher number for the passengers, etc. (e.g. four adults or two adults, two children, and some gear).

jasenj1

Reactions
I just looked in my 2021's manual and Hyundai has updated the max "static vertical load" to 500#. And they have an explanation of tongue load on the pages preceding the limit.

Reactions
I'm late to the party, but in US, from what I've seen, all 4 trim packages have a spec hitch weight of 500 lbs. However, 2020's had different specs for different trims.

That could be part of the confusion.

I have a feeling (but I'm not a professional, so take it for what it is) that Hyundai is playing it safe with the spec. max hitch weight. The remaining cargo weight capabilities of the rear axle is close to only about 700 lbs. Throw in a couple kids in the back row, and a suit case or two in the cargo area, and you just added 200 lbs. easily, leaving you with only 500 lbs. remaining for the tongue weight.

Elp_jc

Reactions
You should never exceed any towing limit, period. The maximum tongue weight is 500 lbs. It can be less, but not more, like if you're alone, you can't put more than 500, even if 1,170 - your weight is more than that (hopefully).

As far as the hitch height, I installed the Curt 13427 on my FWD Calligraphy, and with a Curt 45050 ball mount with a 4" drop (which is 2.75" rise), it basically has the perfect ball height. U-Haul calls for 18-1/2 to 18-3/4" to the middle of the ball, and mine has 18-5/8; Kendon calls for 19 to 21" to the top of the ball, and mine has 20", so right in the middle of both specs. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Hyundai Palisade Posts